PGH Breast Care Center
Philippine General Hospital (PGH) Cancer Institute (CI)
Philippine Senators and Representatives
Philippine Foundation for Breast Care, Inc.
Pink for Life Foundation
Soroptimist Ortigas
PhilHealth (Philippine Health Insurance Corporation)
SSS (Social Security System)

PGH Breast Care Center

Anyone may go to the PGH Breast Care Center for breast and mammography exams. The person must first go to the Out-Patient Department of PGH on the ground floor for assessment. The PGH Out-Patient Department is open daily from 8 am to 12 noon and 1 pm to 5 pm.

A patient classified as "Charity" can secure a BLUE CARD that entitles her to free medical services (consultations, laboratory exams, minor/major surgery) and minimal cost (covers medical supplies to be used for the operation) for surgery. Free chemotherapy treatment is also offered. However, medicines are bought by patients. The amount of chemotherapy medicines depend on the body weight of the patient, but cost usually ranges from P4,000 - P6,000 per treatment/cycle. There are 6 cycles (a cycle is 21 days) given by doctors.

For a patient who has been examined with suspicious breast mass, the doctor will refer her to go to the PGH Breast Care Center located at the 2nd Floor (Room 224) of the Cancer Institute.

The Breast Care Center's schedule is as follows: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday & Friday: 9 am to 4 pm; and Wednesday: no clinic. Refer to

Should you have other concerns, please do not hesitate to call Olen Jalandoni at 799 5039 or 0918 906 6454.

Philippine General Hospital (PGH) Cancer Institute (CI)

It has an "Alay Chemo sa CI" program. Assistance is given only to indigent patients (Class D) following evaluation of the Medical Social Services (MSS). The assistance depends on the need and may be given as full or partial support for chemotherapy drugs. The financial support is only for chemotherapy, antibiotics, antiemetic, and other medicines needed by the patient while undergoing chemotherapy.

The PGH Cancer Institute administration office is open from Monday to Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm.

Philippine Senators and Representatives

Congressmen have their Priority Development Assistance Fund (PDAF) more commonly known as "pork barrel". In this year's budget, members of the House of Representatives are allotted P70 million each and senators, P200 million each for their PDAF. Many of them have set aside a certain amount for their constituents confined at the Philippine General Hospital and other public health institutions.

To avail of this, one can go to their offices at the Senate (GSIS Headquarters, Financial Center, Roxas Blvd., Quezon City) or at the House of Representatives (Constitution Hills, Quezon City) with a letter of request for financial assistance. The letter must contain the name of the patient, the diagnosis (attach medical abstract) and where he or she is confined.

The senator or representative will then write a letter to the PGH Director instructing him to allot a certain amount for the medical expenses of the patient from his or her PDAF. This covers medicine, room, and laboratory expenses.

The patient or his/her caregiver should submit the letter to the office of the PGH director.

Philippine Foundation for Breast Care, Inc.

Everyone is welcome for clinical breast examination and consultation at the following address:

Philippine Foundation for Breast Care, Inc. Breast Care Center, Out-Patient Department East Avenue Medical Center, East Avenue, Quezon City Phone: 927.3492; Mobile: 0917.867.7624 Email: Contact person: Aileen Antolin (0915.442.8958)

Clinic schedule is from Monday to Friday, 8 am to 5 pm. Regular mammography rate is P750.00.

Pink for Life Foundation

Pink for Life offers subsidized chemotherapy for Stage 1 and Stage 2 breast cancer patients up to 6 cycles. Only those on CAF (Cyclophosphamide-Adriamycin-Fluorouracil) protocol shall qualify. Patients approved for subsidy may expect to pay less than P1,500 per cycle.

Please submit the following:

  1. Pathology report
  2. Complete patient details (name, postal address, landline, cell phone number)

Fax to 636 5578, or e-mail (as JPG or PDF file) to

Once approved for subsidy, Pink for Life will contact the patient for the chemo schedule. The patient must bring all original documents (original pathology report) and prepare less than P1,500 for each cycle.

We will confirm receipt of all applications for subsidy by email, fax, or text, and forward the same to Pink for Life.

Soroptimist Ortigas

Soroptimist Ortigas offers free chemotherapy for indigent Stage 1 and Stage 2 breast cancer patients up to 6 cycles. It does not give financial assistance.

Please submit the following:

  1. Pathology report
  2. Complete patient details (name, postal address, landline, cell phone number)
  3. List of prescribed medicines (chemotherapy agents)

Submit by email to

Soroptimist Ortigas will contact the patient if the application is approved.

Our Own Little Way is not a funding agency. It is an online method of gathering generous individuals into virtual communities of caring and sharing. If you have friends, relatives, in-laws, classmates, schoolmates, officemates, org-mates across the street or across the globe, Our Own Little Way will tell them that you need help. Everything is voluntary. All donations received are acknowledged and listed for transparency and accountability.

The website is owned and operated by Hostmanila ( It is a non-profit venture and there are no "overhead" expenses that are taken away from donations received. Whatever is raised via the site goes to the beneficiaries. You, too, can make it "with a little help from a lot of people."

E-mail Gul Murjani at, or visit

PhilHealth (Philippine Health Insurance Corporation)

For Working/Self-Employed Women

To enable the hospital to deduct PhilHealth benefits from the hospital bill, fill out PhilHealth Claim Form 1 and submit to the hospital billing section prior to discharge of the patient. Submit official receipts of medicines bought outside the hospital during confinement for possible refund. The hospital and doctor/s are supposed to deduct the benefits from the total bill before payment. If you pay the full amount for professional fees (that is, the doctor does not deduct any PhilHealth benefits), ask for a Waiver and attach doctor’s Waiver and the official receipt for professional fee to Claim Form 1. Submit also your Member Data Record (MDR) to support your Claim Form.

If you cannot submit a properly filled out Claim Form 1 and MDR, the hospital will not deduct PhilHealth benefits. In this case, pay the hospital bill in full and file your claim directly with PhilHealth for a refund of payments. Submit the following:

  1. PhilHealth Claim Form 1
  2. PhilHealth Claim Form 2
  3. PhilHealth Claim Form 3
  4. Hospital Waiver
  5. Physician’s Waiver (if full and actual professional fee was paid by patient)
  6. Official receipts of medicines bought outside the hospital during confinement

The claim must be filed with PhilHealth within 60 calendar days from discharge of the patient from the hospital, or within 60 calendar days from 1st treatment (first day of radiotherapy, first day of chemotherapy). Claims may be filed at the PhilHealth branch office nearest the member’s residence or place of work.

SSS (Social Security System)

For Working/Self-Employed Women

Sickness Benefits

To avail of sickness benefits, you must notify the SSS or your employer within five (5) days from the day you miss work or are confined to your home. However, this does not apply when you are confined in a hospital.

For hospital confinement, the claim for benefit must be filed within one (1) year from the last day of confinement from the hospital. For home confinement, the claim for reimbursement by the employer must be filed within one (1) year from the start of illness. Failure to file the claim within the prescribed period will result in denial of the claim.

What forms are needed in filing for sickness benefit?

  1. For the employed member: SSS Form CLD-9N (Sickness Notification).
  2. For the employer: SSS Form B-304 (Sickness Benefit Reimbursement Application)
  3. For the unemployed/self-employed/voluntary member
    1. SSS Form CLD-9A (Sickness Benefit Claim for Unemployed/Self-employed/
      Voluntary Members)
    2. SSS Form MMD-102 (Medical Certificate)
  4. Other documents:
    1. For unemployed members
      1. Certification from last employer showing the effective date of separation from employment or notice of the company’s closure/strike or certification from the Department of Labor and Employment that the employee or employer has a pending labor case.
      2. Certification that no advance payment was granted, if the date of separation from employment is within the confinement period being applied for.
      3. Presentation of the SS Digitized ID/SSS Form E-6 (acknowledgment stub) with 2 valid IDs, one of which with the recent photo. To ensure receipt of benefits by members, authorized company representatives who file sickness benefit claims shall present the members’ SS digitized ID or E-6 (acknowledgement stub) with two valid IDs (at least one with photo). This requirement is in addition to the presentation by the company representative’s own SSS digitized ID and blue card.

Where does the member file his claim for sickness benefit?

  1. For the employed/separated member - Claims may be filed at the nearest SSS office. However, processing will be done at the branch where the employer and employee records are based.
  2. For the voluntary/self-employed member - Claims may be filed at the SSS office nearest the member’s residence. However, processing will be done at the branch where the record is based.

Download SSS forms from

Disability Claims

Losing one or both breasts is a partial disability.

The prescriptive period in the filing of disability benefit claim is ten (10) years from the date of
occurrence of disability.

What are the forms needed in filing for the disability benefit?

  1. Disability Claim Application (SSS Form DDR-1)
  2. Medical Certificate (SSS Form MMD-102)
  3. Other documents that may be required to support the disability claim such as clinical and laboratory tests results (pathology report) and hospital records
  4. SSS digitized ID or E-6 (acknowledgement stub) with two valid IDs, one of which with recent photo.

Where can a member file his disability benefit application?

Applications forms of disability benefits are filed at the nearest SSS branch or representative office. You will be called in for a physical examination by an SSS doctor. This can be done on the same day of submission of documents if the doctor is available at the time of your visit.

Download SSS forms from

The Person with Disability (PWD) Card

As a chronic illness requiring continuous monitoring and treatment, cancer is classified as a disability and cancer patients/survivors are counted among persons with disabilities (PWDs). PWDs are qualified by law to receive benefits (privileges and incentives) under the Republic Act 7277 (Magna Carta for Disabled Persons), as amended by R.A. 9442 (An act amending R.A. 7277) and its implementing rules and regulations.

To avail of benefits, get your PWD Card from your local government unit’s Persons with Disability Affairs Office (PDAO) or if none has been established in your area, look for the Department of Social

  1. Bring the following:
    1. Three (3) pieces 1x1 ID picture
    2. Medical abstract duly signed by your attending physician
  2. ill out the form the DSWD or PDAO personnel will provide. Check "chronic illness" in space asking for "Type of Disability". A social worker will usually conduct a short interview and assess your case.
  3. The following will be issued to you as a qualified PWD:
    1. Disability card with your picture and is duly signed by the Mayor of your locality
    2. Purchase booklet for medicines
    3. Purchase booklet for basic commodities
  4. Benefits
    1. 20% discount on transportation and eating establishments
    2. Discounts on medical and dental services
    3. Discounts on purchase of medicines and basic commodities
    4. Educational assistance (scholarship c/o TESDA)

Your PWD benefits will cease upon reaching the age of 60, by which time you are qualified for the senior citizen card and even more benefits, depending on where you reside.

For additional information on the PWD card, you may visit the website of the National Council on Disability Affairs at